Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gene and Annie's Summer Vacation - Part 7






Hi everyone

It has now come to an end. This afternoon we turned off of the Blue Ridge Parkway for the last time to the town of Mt. Airy (Mayberry...more on that tomorrow). We have now driven all of the parkway from North Carolina to just over the Virginia line. When we try to arrive at certain destinations, did we ignore the beautiful view during the journey? one philosophist said: our beginning and destination are all the same-from birth to death, what makes the differences are the view during our journey. From today, I want to enjoy my view on the journey, no matter where is my destination, there is also something beautiful worthy to explore….

The photos are from Grandfather Mountain. We were up there during a storm with measured wind gusts of over 60 miles an hour! It was fantastic. Here is a nice poem about Grandfather Mountain…enjoy.


Grandfather Mountain

Beyond green grassy, sunlit plains
Over fields in flowers tiled,
Past wooded valleys and their swirling mists,
Across rivers both tame and wild
There stands a mountain great and tall,
A mountain firm and strong
Old and grand it proudly sits
Forever singing its song:
Long, long have I laid here
Holding high in the palms of my hands
Forests and animals, brooks and caves
Beautiful, thriving lands.
Aged am I now, but a father shall I stay
To my children dear and many.
For generations more shall I guard them close,
Their provider and sanctuary."
And faithfully does it tower, this mighty mountain
Mindful of its committed role -
A grandfather, in all his wisdom and joy
With thanksgiving and remembrance his goal.

No comments: