Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gene and Annie's Summer Vacation Part 5 and WebWord for Wednesday June 17th, 2009




Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for the emails and text messages about how much you are enjoying the travel blogs. You can leave a comment at the end of every blog as well. This blog will also be our weekly bible study because when we pulled onto the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning, we were met with clouds, fog, and rain. You can see from the photos it was really beautiful but, at the entrance to the parkway were these huge flashing signs saying…”All Florida tourists go home!” No. Just kidding. They were flashing…SLOW DOWN! And so I did…to about 5 miles an hour. The cars behind me just loved it! But, that brings us to what is consistently voted as the most favorite chapter in the Bible of people in America. The 23rd Psalm. We’re going to look at God’s Road to Rest and how you and I can experience it through the incredible truths in this Psalm.

As I read through Psalm 23 several times this week I was immediately impressed with how it spoke to the reasons why you and I can’t find rest … why it is so hard to just respond to the flashing sign and just slow down! All the barriers in our lives. I was also impressed as I read it as how easily I (and I’d guess some of you too) how easily many of us miss the real point of this Psalm. We don’t really see it - as familiar as it is - the real point of what he’s talking about.

To show you what I’m talking about, as an illustration, I went through the 23rd Psalm and wrote a Collier County version of the 23rd Psalm. I’d like to read that for you:





The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
The Lord is my supplier, I tell Him what I want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He gives me green pastures to run around in.

He leads me beside quiet waters.
He takes me down life’s rapids.

He restores my soul.
He superenergized my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
His path for me is often not clear but I’ll follow it if I find it.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
He will help me to avoid the valley of suffering because God knows I would be afraid.

You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.
You provide a fast food meal as I’m running from my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil.
You drip a tiny drop of oil on my head.

My cup overflows.
My cup is almost full.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Although I may face heartache and loneliness all my life I hope to make it to heaven where I can finally rest.



That’s a Collier County version. That’s our Americanized version. That may be your version. There’s something deeper in this Psalm. The greatest confidence in God than I’ve ever experienced and you’ve ever experienced. It’s an incredible Psalm. The reason why it’s the most popular chapter. It’s not that it’s sentimental. Maybe it is for some. But the reason why this is the most popular chapter in America is it’s powerful. It has something to say. It has the power to change your life. “The Lord is my shepherd…”

The Lord is your shepherd, you’re a sheep. This is where we get messed up right from the very beginning. We want Jesus to be the good shepherd. But we want to be the sheep dog. We want to chase all the other sheep and tell them where to go. That’s what we want to be. We don’t want to be the sheep. The Bible does not compare us to a sheep dog. The Bible doesn’t compare us to a roaring lion. The Bible doesn’t compare us to a tiger. The Bible compares us to a sheep. It’s hard to admit. The Greek word for sheep is d-u-m-b. They are dumb animals. We want to be sleek. We want to be suave. We want to be God’s gift to the world but we are sheep.

Can you imagine a sheep saying, “I am the master of my universe!” like we try to say. It doesn’t work. We are sheep. That means we are dependent. When I can admit that then I can recognize how deeply I need a shepherd. Sheep need a shepherd. Without a shepherd they won’t survive. Sheep cannot be left without care. To be confident as a sheep I must stay close to the shepherd. The Bible says, “He makes me lie down in green pastures.

Circle “makes me.” He doesn’t allow me to lie down in green pastures. It’s interesting that the Bible says He makes me lie down. There’s something to that in what we need. There’s something in all of us when we think about green pastures. Wouldn’t you like to be in a green pasture, where you’re just there and it’s green and you’re rested? You just get that picture of it’s just so restful.

But we can’t handle green pastures. We don’t know what to do with them when they come into our lives. We can’t handle them. We get a green pasture in our lives and we go, “Where’s the lawn mower? I’ve got to get this thing mowed.” We get a green pasture in our lives and we say to ourselves, “How can I make this thing even more fruitful? Maybe a little fertilizer and it’ll produce more. I’ll make it a better green pasture than it is.” We get a green pasture in our lives and you know what some of us think. We think, “I don’t deserve this. Why should I have this? I feel guilty being in this green pasture.” Or even worse. Worse of all. We get a green pasture in our lives and we look around and think, “I think his pasture is a little greener than mine is. Just little greener. Why isn’t mine that green?” We don’t know how to handle green pastures.

“He makes me lie down in green pastures.” If you’re going to lie down in the green pasture of God’s abundance, we’re going to have to learn to accept and enjoy the places of abundance that God puts into your life. Not feel guilty. Sure you don’t deserve it. That’s grace. Not feel like you have to rush past them. But to accept and enjoy those places of abundance.

What I’m saying to you is, Stop running in place in green pastures. Instead, take a minute to lie down, to enjoy God’s abundance. Recognize it’s His alone. “He makes me lie down in green pastures.”

How about the last few lines of the Psalm. “Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” When you’re unsure about your future, renew your view of God’s future. Surely – certainly – goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.

Just look to Jesus Christ and say to Him, “Lord, You are my shepherd. I shall not be in want.” Then pray to Him with confidence, “You make me lie down in green pastures. You lead me to drink the riches of Your life. You restore my soul. Although I will walk through the valley of suffering, You will be with me. You will protect me from my enemies and even from myself. You prepare a table of victory in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with refreshing oil. My cup overflows. Certainly goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect Bible study for my day...thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Gene and Annie for your great vacation revelations. Your comments on the 23rd Psalm are very special. We loved all the photos from this beautiful part of our country. Thanks for taking a part of your vacation to share with us.

Anonymous said...

Great bible study...I really needed the 'makes me lie down' part!