Sunday, January 11, 2009


HERE ARE THE FILL IN ANSWERS TO THIS SERMON'S MESSAGE.
ALSO I HAVE LISTED SOME OF THE SCRIPTURES QUOTED THAT WERE NOT ON THE OUTLINE.

“No one can live forever; all will die. No one can escape the
power of the grave.” Psalm 89:48 (NLT)
  • DENIAL “This isn't happening to me!”
    “I am frightened inside; the terror of death has attacked me.”
    Psalm 55:4 (NCV)
  • ANGER “Why is this happening to me?”
    “I was overcome with anger. The more I thought, the more
    troubled I became; I could not keep from asking: ‘Lord, how
    long will I live? When will I die? Tell me how soon my life
    will end?’” Psalm 39:3-4 (TEV)
  • BARGAINING “I promise to … if you’ll let me live.”
    “You can never pay God enough to stay alive forever and be safe
    from death.” Psalm 49:8-9 (CEV)
  • DEPRESSION “I just don't care anymore.”
    “I'm at the end of my rope, my life is in ruins. I'm fading away to nothing, passing away.” Psalm 109:22-23 (MSG)
  • ACCEPTANCE “I'm ready for whatever happens.”
    “I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, ‘You are my God!’ My
    future is in your hands.” Psalm 31:14-15 (NLT)
    “My loved ones and friends stay away, fearing my disease. Even
    my own family stands at a distance.” Psalm 38:11 (NLT)


HOW TO COMFORT SOMEONE WHO IS DYING

C – I need to confront my own fears.
O – Offer my physical presence.
M – Minister with practical assistance.
F – Fortify them with emotional support.
O – Open them up with questions.
R – Remember the family has needs too.
T – Turn them to Jesus.

Psalm 38
“I’m burning with fever and I’m near death. I’m worn out and utterly crushed. My heart is troubled and I groan with pain.”
Psalm 116:15
“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.”
“So we don’t look at the troubles we can see right now [the ivs, the doctors, the medical equipment, the machines. We don’t look at all the troubles we see right now] we look forward to what we have not yet seen. [that’s heaven] For the troubles we have seen will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.”

Psalm 23 - that everybody knows:
“Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid for you are close beside me.”

Psalm 142
“I looked for someone to come and help me but no one gives me a passing thought. No one will help me. No one cares a bit about what happens to me.”

Psalm 38:11
“My loved ones and friends stay away, fearing my disease. Even my own family stands at a distance.”

COMMENTS?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Gene--this is one of the best messages you have ever given. You make it sound so easy to be a comfort to others--your message offered practical advice. It sure helped to take the "fear" out of being a friend. Thanks for all you give to one and all.

Anonymous said...

I was meant to be here today. I have struggled with this my whole 38 years. Found myself trampling others So I could leave quickly to cry in my car. Thank you for your message.

Anonymous said...

I flew half way across the country to make sure I was there to hear this message and it was just for me. Thank you for the most powerful sermon on dying that I have ever heard...in fact, one of the best sermons i have ever heard!

Anonymous said...

As a therapist, I have heard many presentations on death and dying. This was the best!

Anonymous said...

My brother just died. Because of your calmness in talking about how normal death is, I was able to overcome my fear and make peace. What a gift!