Friday, October 3, 2008

Rainy Days and Sundays



The #1 most asked question is not "Is that really the pastor?" No. The most asked question is, "What do you do when it rains?" And my answer is "We get wet!" I know, hilarious. Like that great Canadian joke... Hi, did you have a good Summer? - Yes indeed, we had a great picnic that afternoon!!! Or this one...One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm a mother was tucking her small boy into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you sleep with me tonight?" The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug. "I can't dear," she said. "I have to sleep in Daddy's room." A long silence was broken at last by a shaken little voice saying, "The big sissy."


Over the years, Celebration has been blessed with wonderful weather that can only be found here in paradise. During those few(very few) Sundays when it does rain, we still have worship. We are able to seat around 150+ underneath the (dry) Cambier park bandshell. But, believe it or not, we have had rainy Sundays where the bandshell was packed and people sat out in the rain under their umbrellas! (I mean, we sit in the rain for ball games all the time...why not church).


We never cancel church! We have had church during tornado warnings, high wind warnings, flash flood warnings, tropical storm warnings, and, of course, hurricane warnings! In fact, one of the best attended worship services was the Sunday before hurricane Wilma hit! Imagine that. The bible reminds us that "The rain falls on the just and the unjust" (Matthew 5). So that pretty much covers all of us. See you Sunday...rain or shine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been coming to outdoor worship now for almost 3 years...no rained out Sunday yet! If it does, rain, I will just bring my umbrella and listen to pastor Gene.

Anonymous said...

Who cares about the weather! I love outdoor church!

Anonymous said...

Mark Twain once said..."It doesn't matter how much money or friends a man has, the turnout for his funeral will always depend upon the weather."

Anonymous said...

To me, Nature is a beautiful creation of God & to join him there is very nice. I also feel that water is the coolest invention on earth.